- Still no answer, only static. - Rochus Heimann said, treaking his Feinberg reciever in his hand.
- What kind of ship is this? - Captain Metlesits said, turning to Ainsworth.
- Definitely of Federation configuration, Captain. - the young Ensign said - Although the interphase makes it impossible to get a clear sensor lock, the external modular arrangement makes me think of... a Pallada class starship.
- No ruttin' way! - Big Chief White Eagle grunted - Look at those Bussards! And the bridge dome? It cannot be a Pallada.
- Or it could be an upgraded Pallada. - Nussbaum suggested.
- In your dreams, Commander. - White Eagle said with a dismissing hand gesture - If only we'd get the tech to kit out this old lady...
- Hail them again, Lieutenant. - Metlesits said, turning toward Heimann.
- Unknown vessel, this is the USS Polaris. - Heimann said into his comm equipment - Please identify yourself.
Only garbled noise came through the speakers, but after a few seconds, a voice broke through the cacophony:
- Federation vessel, this is David Metlesits of the Rebel starship Polaris. We seek asylum.
Metlesits looked at Nussbaum and felt all his cres's eyes upon him.
Okay, this started out as a conversation with
. Allow me to introduce the Rebel Polaris. Yes, not the ISS Polaris. In the Mirror Universe, the Polaris is a rebel ship against the Terran Empire. She is more advanced than her Prime Universe counterpart. As for the crew:
- David Metlesits was in command of the ISS Umbriel. The ship was lost when the Kzinti detonated a "solar bomb" over his home planet of Elizabethtown. After the Terran Empire covered up the events to preserve morale, Metlesits went berserk and joined the Rebellion, commandeering a freshly upgraded Pallada class starship which he named Polaris after an old Romulan War era cruiser.
- Vasily Nussbaum is a mercenary. He once served as the Military Governor of Kzinhome but after the Kzinti overthrow the rule of the Empire, he was personally sentenced to death by the Emperor for his failure. Nussbaum escaped and joined the Rebellion to become a most efficient killing machine.
- White Eagle is a cyborg, due to major war wounds. He is a weapons designer whose task is to reverse engineer the Kzinti "solar bomb". Metlesits wants him to build the bomb so he could pay back for his loss with the destruction of Kzinhome.
- Heimann is an anarchist. He is a member of the Neue Rote Armee Fraktion/New Red Army Fraction. He is a capable hacker who was forced to flee Terra after being framed for cyberfraud. He hates being on the Polaris but has to rely on the goodwill of the strong crew.
- Jiménez is a drifter. He is severly disfigured in the attack that claimed his cargo ship. He has death wish which often appears in his suicidal starship manouvering.
- Ainsworth is the Captain's Woman (okay, I'm bad, I know that...). She joined the Rebellion after her twin sister, Allison, was executed in a politically motivated show trial. Her petite appearance hides lethal precision with melee weapons.
Okay, now let us all try hard and not think about Summer Glau wearing that Mirror Universe uniform...
Models by me